Artists Unite For Don Williams Tribute Album
Don Williams, one of the best balladeers in country music, has been around for quite some time now and is FINALLY getting a tribute album!Less than a year after his retirement, the announcement was made that a tribute album called Gentle Giants: The Songs of Don Williams, will be released May 26th, one day before Williams' 78th birthday.
Don is my dad's favorite artist of all time, so I grew up listening to the "Gentle Giant." His songs have inspired many artists like Miranda Lambert (who performed "Tulsa Time" at one of her concerts in Evansville), Chris Stapleton, and Alan Jackson. Speaking of Alan, he actually had a huge hit in the 90's that was originally a Don Williams song, "It Must Be Love."
Back to the tribute album. This album features country-pop chart climbers, Americana all-stars and iconic songwriters. Check out the Gentle Giants: The Songs of Don Williams track listing:
1. "Tulsa Time" - Pistol Annies
2. "I Believe in You" - Brandy Clark
3. "We've Got a Good Fire Goin'" - Lady Antebellum
4. "Some Broken Hearts Never Mend" - Dierks Bentley
5. "Amanda" - Chris Stapleton feat. Morgane Stapleton
6. "Till The Rivers All Run Dry" - Alison Krauss
7. "Love Is On A Roll" - John Prine feat. Roger Cook
8. "If I Needed You" - Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires
9. "Maggie's Dream" - Trisha Yearwood
10. "Lord I Hope This Day is Good" - Keb' Mo'
11. "Good Ole Boys Like Me" - Garth Brooks
What a lineup? I can't wait to hear these artists renditions of those iconic songs! As previously mentioned, I grew up listening to Don. There is one song, which happens to be my dad and I's favorite, that I wish was featured on this album. It's called "Lay Down Beside Me," and it shows off exactly why he is called "The Gentle Giant" of country music.
Nonetheless, this album will be a hit, especially with all of the big names paying homage to this legendary country artist.