The Meaning Behind Delicious King Cakes and Where to Find Them in Southern Indiana?
During this time of Mardi Gras, there will be a plethora of 'King' cakes prepared and served all over the country and here in the Evansville area. The delicious strudel is a Mardi Gras tradition, but do you know why? Why do we eat this kind of cake? Why is it purple, green, and yellow? Why is there a little plastic baby inside?
I once received a King Cake from a place called Tubbs Hardware (it also carries Cajun food and gifts) in Louisiana. There was a message on the side of the king cake box, an explanation of how the King cake came to be and its symbolism over the years.
At long last, our journey was joyfully fulfilled. The star we followed shined brightly over the stable where we found the holy baby Jesus. This is now known as the Twelfth Night of Christmas, January 6th, the Feast of the Epiphany. With much revelry, this is now the beginning of the Mardi Gras season and is celebrated with the oval-shaped King Cake commemorating our journey and decorated in the carnival colors of green for FAITH, yellow for POWER, and purple for JUSTICE. As it is served, look for the bean, coin, or baby doll representing "our finding the baby Jesus," for you who gets the symbol buys the King Cake for the next party. Enjoy this delicious cake and celebrate as we did. In the name of Tradition, The Three Kings
Where to Find King Cakes in the Evansville Area
Ask anyone and they will tell you that Donut Bank Bakery is one of the very best places to get pastries and coffee in the Evansville area, and that includes King Cakes for the next few days. Visit any of the following locations to devour a traditional Mardi Gras dessert.
- 4800 W. Lloyd Expressway, Evansville, IN 47712
- 1031 E. Diamond Avenue, Evansville, IN 47711
- 2128 N. First Avenue, Evansville, IN 47710
- 5 N. Green River Road, Evansville, IN 47715
- 210 N. St. Joseph Avenue, Evansville, IN 47712
- 1950 Washington Avenue, Evansville, IN 47714
- 1200 Lincoln Avenue, Evansville, IN 47714
- 3988 SR 261, Newburgh, IN 47630
- 1303 W. Broadway, Princeton, IN 47670
- 2630 A Highway 41, Henderson, KY 42420