If you walk into a room in your house and it smells like fish...you might have a problem that could be dangerous.

It's not uncommon for rooms in your home to have strange odors. Some could be from pets, others could be someone's terrible cooking, and then there are those bad bathroom smells that are caused by...well, you know. However, sometimes you might smell something in your home that you can't really explain. It could be "fishy" why a room smells odd. However, if a room in your home smells like actual fish (and you don't have pet fish) you could have a major problem on your hands that needs to be fixed immediately.

WKDQ-FM logo
Get our free mobile app

Why Does A Room In Your Home Smell Like Fish?

Let's say that you begin to notice a fishy smell in your bedroom. You don't own a fish, you haven't eaten fish, so what could it be? It could be a sign that something is happening in the walls of your house that needs immediate attention. That smell could be an electrical problem. You should first take a look at all of the electrical outlets in you that room.

Inserting Power Cord Receptacle in wall outlet

According to an article on BobVila.com:

That fishy smell is typically a sign that an <a href="https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/8-warning-signs-of-dangerously-outdated-electrical-wiring-47969" target="_blank" rel="noopener">electrical component</a> is overheating or burning. The smell can come from loose or frayed wires or cords, overloaded circuits, faulty outlets, incorrectly sized breakers or fuses, or overheated electrical shielding or insulation. If not addressed quickly and properly, any of these problems could result in a house fire.

You might notice this in a few different ways. You could see that the plug itself is melted such as this:

cell phone charger short-circuited, smoke and fire, electrical appliance melting
Getty Images/iStockphoto

Another way you can tell if your outlet is burning is by a black, burnt look coming from the outlet. It could also appear a little melted too.

electrical failure in power outlet
Getty Images/iStockphoto

Sometimes they aren't as noticeable from the outside. There could be some slight discoloration on the exterior, but the real burning smell is coming from the wiring on the inside, such as this:

Faulty Burned Electrical Outlet
Getty Images/iStockphoto

In any event, cut power to these outlets immediately, and call a professional to repair the outlet/wiring so that you can prevent any further and more dangerous damage to your home.

25 Ways To Get Rid of Spiders In Your Home

Problems with spiders in and around your home? Here are 25 ways to get rid of them.

26 Random Things You'll Find in Every Junk Drawer

Our junk drawers are full of things we just couldn't or can't bring ourselves to get rid of for one reason or another. Chances are, you could open your junk drawer right now and find any one of these things in it. Although it's more likely you'll find most, if not all of them in there somewhere.

Does Toothpaste Really Clean Your Vehicle's Foggy Headlights? [Life Hack Test]

According to Carhop.com, cloudy headlights are a relatively modern issue. Originally, car manufacturers used glass domes for the front of their headlights until sometime in the 1980s when they switched to "polycarbonate or plastic" I assume because it was cheaper. Unlike glass, plastic is more susceptible to oxidation which is caused by the UV light created naturally by the sun. Dust, debris, and road grime also contribute to clouding up your lights.

They also say toothpaste can be used to clear that cloudiness thanks to the same mild abrasives that also remove plaque and other gunk from your mouth. As someone who has to see it or try it before I believe it, I decided to give it a shot by following their steps and seeing for myself if they were right.


More From WKDQ-FM