Tennessee’s Top 10 Most Stolen Cars: Is Yours on the List?
In Tennessee, like many other states, vehicle theft is a major issue. Vehicle Theft Prevention Month is observed every July to raise awareness and prevent car theft. According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), vehicle theft has been increasing in recent years, with over one million vehicles reported stolen last year - a significant seven percent increase from the previous year.
Keep reading to learn the 10 most stolen vehicles in Tennessee.
The impact of vehicle theft reaches far beyond mere statistics. It disrupts lives, causes financial hardship, and poses a threat to community safety. For many vehicle owners, the emotional toll can be even more significant, especially if they rely on their cars for daily activities or work.
Keeping Your Vehicle Safe
To address this growing issue, NICB and NHTSA have teamed up to provide valuable tips to help prevent vehicle thefts:
- Park Wisely: Always park your vehicle in well-lit areas, preferably with security cameras or public foot traffic. Avoid leaving it in remote or poorly-lit locations, as these make it easier for thieves to operate undetected.
- Lock Up: Close and lock all windows and doors whenever you park your car. Thieves look for easy opportunities, and unlocked cars are prime targets.
- Hide Valuables: Keep valuable items, such as laptops, smartphones, or bags, out of sight. Storing them in the glove box or trunk can deter potential thieves who may be tempted by easily accessible items.
- Guard Your Keys: Never leave your keys inside your vehicle, even for a short moment. Thieves can strike quickly, and a running car left unattended is an open invitation for trouble.
- Stay with Your Car: Avoid leaving the area while your vehicle is running, even if it's just to grab a quick item from a store. Thieves can strike in seconds, and an unattended car is an easy target.
In addition to these preventative measures, reporting a stolen vehicle as soon as possible increases the chances of recovery. Contact law enforcement and your insurer immediately if your car gets stolen.
Top 10 Most Stolen Vehicles in Tennessee
If you're wondering which vehicles are most commonly stolen in Tennessee, here are the top 10:
- Chevrolet Pick-Up (Full Size) 2005
- Ford Pick-Up (Full Size) 2006/1999
- Nissan Altima 2020
- Honda Accord 2007
- Dodge Charger 2016
- Toyota Camry 2020
- Honda Civic 2008
- Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee 2014
- Dodge Pick-Up (Full Size) 2004/2001
- GMC Pick-Up (Full Size) 2005
Being vigilant and taking the necessary precautions can significantly reduce the risk of falling victim to car theft. Remember, Vehicle Theft Prevention Month is an opportunity to prioritize the security of your vehicle and safeguard your peace of mind on the roads of Tennessee.