You’ll Never Guess the Secret Ingredients to the Best Pizza Hut Copycat Deep Dish [Top Secret Recipe]
One of my favorite childhood memories is Book-It – Pizza Hut‘s reading promotion. We didn’t eat out much when I was a kid so to earn that delicious personal pan pizza every semester was a real treat. Pizza Hut is still my favorite pizza and I love the deep dish. I scoured the internet for a make-at-home version and I tweaked it to make the outcome just right. The secrets may surprise you!
- 1 package fast rising dry yeast
- 1 1/3 cup warm (not boiling) water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup non-fat dry milk (I didn’t have dry milk so I used some baby formula. Worked like a charm!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (for dough)
- 4 cups flour
- butter flavored cooking spray
- Two medium-sized, or one extra large cast iron skillet
- 1 cup Pizza or spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups freshly graded mozzarella cheese (I like it cheesy!)
- 1/4 cup freshly graded Parmesan cheese
- Toppings (I used chicken, mushrooms and green peppers)
- Chop toppings and place fresh vegetables on a sprayed cooking sheet. Bake at 350 for 7-10 minutes to dry them out.
- Mix fast-acting yeast, sugar, salt, and dry milk in a large mixing bowl.
- Add warm water and mix well. Allow to sit for 2-4 minutes.
- Add olive oil and stir again.
- Add flour and stir until a dough forms.
- Continue to knead dough for about 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half if using two medium pans.
- Spray skillets with butter flavored cooking spray generously.
- Roll dough out into a circle shape and press into pans.
- Cover and allow dough to rise for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475.
- Top dough with sauce (use more sauce to taste) and then spread cheese evenly over pizza. Place toppings on pizza.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes until crust is brown.