Time to Take Stock of the Things That Make Life Pretty Good
It is the time of year to be thankful for the things we have, but for some reason most of us tend to get caught up in what's wrong with our lives and are constantly searching to find true happiness.We want to be more successful, have a better job, make more money, have more free time, more fulfilling relationships and the list goes on and on. I was reading an article the other day that said sometimes we fail to stop, look around and take stock of the things we DO have. I think sometimes it is just human nature for us to focus on the things that we feel are missing from our lives.
We are all looking for satisfaction, gratification and validation in some way, shape or form when all we really need to do is look around at the things we do have that we completely take for granted. Below is a short list of things that make life pretty cool.
- Most of us have food and drinks at our fingertips. When we are at home thinking about what we still don't have and suddenly realize, you're a little hungry. What do you do? You go to the kitchen and grab yourself a little snack or make a meal...how cool is that? Not everyone can do that.
- We have multiple faucets in our homes that dispense clean water for drinking, cooking an bathing. There are numerous places in this world where clean water is not readily available to the people who live there. In some places, the water could be deadly if consumed.
- Most of us have walls around us and a roof over our heads. What you have may not be a luxurious mansion, but it is a lot more than a lot of other people have. We can also adjust the temperature to make us even more comfortable.
- You have a bed. Have you ever really thought about your bed and what it means to have one? There was a scene in the movie "The Blind Side" where Sandra Bullock's character sets Michael Oher up in his own room. He says, "Wow, I've never had one of these before." She says, "Your own room?" He says, "No, a bed." Think about that.
- Chances are the clothes you are wearing are clean. You may not have the most the most expensive clothes available, but you do have choices with your clothes...not too shabby if you ask me.
- You have people who love you. They may not always be there, so appreciate them while you can.
When you go home tonight, take a look around. I really believe you will come to the same conclusion I do every night when I see my wife and kids....life is pretty darn good. Just a thought.