Jon Prell Shares His Secrets for the Best Onion Rings Ever
This morning on Jon and Leslie in the morning, the topic of discussion on Jon and Leslie Wanna Know was fries or onion rings. Jon can be a little (okay a lot) conservative but he really got into this one. In fact, he offered up some tips straight from his mama’s kitchen on how to prepare the best homemade onion rings.
Leslie told Jon she hates it when you take a bite of the onion ring and the whole onion comes out in one big string leaving the batter shell. “If I had wanted onions with pieces, I would have ordered onions with pieces!”
1. You must always make SURE the outer layer is peeled away. If you have to take off the top layer of onion to make sure there is none of that skin left, do it!
2. Cut the onion in large rings. Skinny rings are more likely to slide out.
3. Use a buttermilk batter and a big, sweet, crunchy onion. See recipe below:
- 2 large sweet Valida onions
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- frying oil
- Cut onions into 1/2 inch slices, and separate into rings. Remember to make sure all the skin is OFF!
- Mix flour, buttermilk, baking powder and sugar and salt until batter
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven, cast iron skillet or fry daddy
- Dip onion rings in batter, coating well.
- Fry, a few rings at a time, until golden brown and serve!