Jolly Holly and Mischievous Mistletoe – Holiday Plants that Make Animals Sick
The holidays are right around the corner and it won‘t be long until decorations will be up and the festive holiday plants will be out on display. But what if you mistletoe has other capabilities other than making couples smooch? - By Lauren Dearmond
Did you know that, according to the Humane Society of America, there are more than 700 plant varieties that are considered poisonous to animals? A lot of those are given as gifts and bought around the holidays. Here’s a list of plants that you should use caution with if you have household fur-babies.
Contains multiple toxic substances, and may cause low blood pressure and low heart rate in both cats and dogs. Make sure to hang it high above the door/entry way!
Both, leaves and berries from the Holly plant are poisonous and can effects on the gastrointestinal track. Signs of Holly poisoning are; decreased appetite, vomiting, or diarrhea.
A very iconic holiday plant, which many have heard can be extremely harmful to pets. Toxicology reports have found nothing to really confirm this perception. However its best to keep away nosey animals as there have been reports of local irritation to the mouth and vomiting.
There are some varieties for tees that are used as Christmas trees that maybe toxic to our four legged companions. Such as, Australian, Norfolk, and Norfolk Island Pine. The needles can cause gastrointestinal distress and lethargy.
The amaryllis is a stunning flower often found around the holiday season, but may cause a bit of discomfort in your pets. The Amaryllis contains Lycorine which can case increased salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite and abdominal pain.