Fish Fry Fridays… Shall it Be Catfish or Cheese Pizza? A Catholic’s Dilemma
By Mike Adams
Well it’s finally here…Friday! This time of year Fridays mean a little bit more than just the end of a busy week. With sunnier days becoming more frequent, and warmer weather upon us, it is obvious that Spring is just around the corner and everyone seems to be thawing out nicely.
Ok, so let’s get down to business… I am, like most people from Southern Indiana, a catfish carnivore! I grew up in rural Indiana where I was raised in fairly strict Catholic home. I say fairly strict because even though my mother was a Catholic, my dad was not. My dad didn’t subscribe to any religion unless its alter was made out of a 69’ Camaro! So there was a little leniency in the house, but not a lot. After all, my mom was the boss…
On Fridays during Lent, just weeks before Easter, my mom always fried fish for dinner. Always. My brother and I didn’t mind it, but it drove my dad crazy. Back then he had an insatiable appetite for pizza. The old man craved it most nights, but he rarely ever got it with the exception of on the weekends…except on weekends during Lent. I imagine my dad spent Friday afternoons at work daydreaming about a nice quiet evening by the TV with an extra-large combination with extra cheese. To this day I have never seen as much disappointment on another mans face than the look on my dad’s when he got home some Fridays during Easter time and realized that we were having fish!
As an adult, I have jettisoned my mom’s Catholic ways and acquired my old man’s pizza habit. I believe I crave it just as much as he did back in the day, and there is a big part of me that feels that I owe him an apology for finding so much humor in his pain. It is obvious to me now that my mom was torturing the poor man. I, on the other hand, feel fortunate because not only do I fiendishly crave a pizza fix, I am mysteriously drawn to the ways of the Catfish Fiddler…especially this time of year!
Here is a list to help you decide what you’re going to have for dinner tonight… Will it be Catfish Fiddlers or Pizza. Personally, I’m on the fence!
Get Your Catfish Fiddlers Here…Seriously!
The Log Inn – I worked here all through high school and ate their Catfish Fiddlers every Friday night. I never got sick of them, and now I try to get back there as much as possible for my Fiddler fix!
12491 County Rd. 200 East in Warrenton, Indiana
2. The Hornet’s Nest – It’s got that old school tavern feel with family dining appeal. I highly recommend it!
11845 Petersburg Rd., Evansville, Indiana.
3. Knob Hill Tavern – It’s one of my favorite places to go in Newburgh. It’s quiet and the atmosphere is very comfortable…the beer flows how I like it and the food keeps me going back. I had the fiddlers their last Friday and I’ve been obsessing over them ever since.
1016 HWY 662, Newburgh, Indiana
Get Your Pizza Here… No really!
1. Knob Hill Tavern – It’s true!!! Not only do they have some of the most amazing Catfish Fiddlers in the Tri-State, but also their pizza is some of the best I’ve had in this area. Because of this, The Knob Hill Tavern is my pick for those of you on the fence as well.
1016 HWY 662, Newburgh, Indiana
2. Crickets – It’s just a little hole in the wall dive bar, but I do crave their pizza! Even if you don’t want to sit around in a bar atmosphere you can give them a call and carry out.
518 W. Main Street, Newburgh, Indiana.
No website available.
3. Sandy’s Pizza – Sandy’s is the pizza that my old man craved while I was growing up. It’s what I was raised on. In my opinion it doesn’t get much better. So if you’ve never tried it, you should definitely check it out tonight!
609 South Main Street, Fort Branch, Indiana.