Firework Safety Facts- These Might Surprise You
The City of Evansville sent out a Tweet earlier today as a reminder to those who will be purchasing fireworks for the upcoming 4th of July festivities.
The Tweet comes from the City of Evansville's website. The reminder is about people who will be setting off their own fireworks. Now, common sense says to be responsible, but you and I both know that there will be some drunk yayhoos out there setting them off trying to be funny. This is how injuries start.
- Fireworks cause an average of almost 18,500 reported fires per year.
- Sparklers account for more than one-quarter of emergency room fireworks injuries.
- BE CAREFUL! Be safe. If you want to see fireworks, go to a public show put on by experts.
- Keep a close eye on children at events where fireworks are used.
- Males account for 75% of firework related injuries
- Children 5-9 are more than TWICE AS LIKELY to be injured by fireworks than other age groups.
So be safe and be smart out there. Don't try to show off and do something silly with fireworks. The outcome can be very unfavorable for you. Also, keep an eye on children. Watch them diligently around fireworks, especially with sparklers. Enjoy the 4th of July, have fun, but be responsible!