Sports Cars Invade Roberts Stadium This Sunday
Ever wonder if your car handles as well as the salesperson said it should? Need to know who is the better driver between you and someone? Looking for other individuals in the Tri-State that love cars as much as you do? The Sports Car Club of America would like to help you answer these questions! This Sunday, July 8th, for the first time in over ten years, Roberts Stadium will host a Southern Indiana Region autocross. Typically their autocross events happen at the Mid-America Air Center in Lawrenceville, Illinois, which is quite a drive for a club where a majority of their membership are from Evansville, Henderson, and Owensboro. Registration and tech inspections start at 10AM. The first run will begin about 1PM.
Subscribe to WKDQ-FM on
Autocrossing, sometimes known as parking lot or cone racing, is a closed course precision driving event, not a race. Competition is not only against other cars in your class, but also yourself as runs are timed. Autocross courses are designed to showcase car handling and driver skill, and not necessarily horsepower. Vehicles are placed into classes depending on what has or hasn’t been modified, and there are classes from stock street legal to track-only custom designs. Classes are subdivided even further so that, as an example, your stock Chevrolet Aveo is not competing against a stock Honda S2000. I’ve been assured that if your vehicle meets the basic requirements below, they have the perfect spot for you!
Here are the basics you need to know:
– Cost is $35 for non-SCCA members (includes a weekend membership), and $20 for members.
– A helmet is required and must be Snell SA2000 or M2000 rated or newer. Loaner helmets are available.
– Vehicles must have 4 wheels touching the ground when at rest.
– Vehicles with a high center of gravity are not permitted. Examples: Jeep CJ Series, non-SRT Dodge Caliber, pre-2006 Scion xB, Geo Tracker, Suzuki Sidekick/Samurai
– Cars Only
– All loose items are to be removed from the car.
– Proper battery tiedowns are a must. Bungie cords, duct tape, or bailing wire are no-no’s!
– Entrants will be required to work the course (chase pylons).
– No alcohol or illegal substances. Period.
– Bring plenty of fluids and things to eat/snack on.
– Wear light color, lightweight clothing. It’s hot being on asphalt all day.
– Chairs and umbrellas are helpful during waiting and break times.
– Events are rain or shine. A rainjacket or poncho and a towel are handy to have.
10:00AM – Registration and Tech Begins
12:00PM – Registration and Tech Closes
12:15PM – Guided Course Walk
12:45PM – Driver’s Meeting
1:00PM – First Car Off
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone, Bob at 812-477-5936
The Southern Indiana Region of the SCCA, is a not for profit club formed to promote interest in sports cars and other fine automobiles and to encourage their safe and skillful operation by developing, arranging, and regulating closed-circuit road racing, rallying, and other forms of automotive competition. They hold regular montly meetings on the second Tuesday of the month, and the public is welcome. For meeting location or information concerning upcoming events, you can visit them online at http://www.sirscca.org.