Ten Cereals I Ate As A Kid That Are Gone Now
It was more exciting than Christmas. I'm talking about getting that prize at the bottom of your cereal box. Sometimes the cereal was even good. I've compiled a list of some of my favorites from back in the day, complete with the commercials. Remember those great sugary cereals we ate as kids? With all the talk today of kids being obese, and cereals being taken away because of high sugar content, I just got to thinking, weren't all those cereals we ate as kids "Part of a complete breakfast?" I mean, they showed them with juice, milk, and toast with butter. Sounds pretty complete to me. Anyway, I think we should take a step back in time and remember the great (and not so great) morning treats that made us sprint to the kitchen every morning, grab a spoon and the biggest bowl we could find!
1) Fruity Marshmallow Krispies - Ol Snap, Crackle, and Pop were pretty cool dudes, but when you're a kid, you had to load Rice Krispies with sugar to make them edible, so Kellogg's did it for you, the American way...make something good for you, int something not so much.
2) OJ's - This was the one that inspired this blog. I vaguely remembered an orange flavored cereal that I used to love. I also remembered a cowboy fella on the box. Enter OJ Joe!
3) Nintendo Cereal - Here's one that was more about hype than taste. How cool that my favorite video game stars like Mario, Luigi, and Link were in a cereal. Even cooler...TWO CEREALS IN ONE BOX! Why was that cool? I don't know, it just was, ok! After all the hype, you basically got a cereal that had very little taste, and turned the milk into a multi-colored mess.
4) Rocky Road Cereal - I seem to remember trying Rocky Road Cereal before I ever tried Rocky Road ice cream. Maybe it had something to do with the rock n roll puffs and singing marshmallow. Either way, it was super yummy!
5) Mr T Cereal - I pity the fool who says they didn't beg mom to buy them this breakfast treat. The cereal even made a cameo in the movie, "Pee Wee's Big Adventure." Can't for the life of me remember how it tasted, but again as you see it was part of a complete breakfast, fool!
6) Crispy Critters - They put a ton of these commercials on in the 80's, enticing kids like me to want this cereal, and we did. But in the end, I'm not sure what was worse, the bland tasting animals in the box, or the fact they made these poor child actors try to say "indubidably." I don't think that word had been used since the 50's and hasn't been used since.
7) Yummy Mummy - Count Chocula and Frankenberry have somehow managed to survive through the years. Their buddy Boo Berry comes and goes (what's up with that anyway), but this guy had to be sought out by the Count and Frank, only to last the dreaded limited time, and never to be seen in his fruity goodness ever again.
8 ) Smores Crunch - This campfire treat is a can't miss. Chocolate...good! Graham crackers...good! Marshmallows...good! And amazingly, Smores is not only part of a complete breakfast, but a "nutritious breakfast!" Throw in some Fruit Rollups and a gallon of Kool-Aid and we're set to run a marathon!
9) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cereal - I can't say I was ever a huge fan of the Turtles' cartoon, but, "Ninja Nets," come on. Who wouldn't want some of that. Forget that a net was just a fancy name for a piece of Chex Cereal.
10) Dunkin Donuts Cereal - It's an age old question, "Donuts or Cereal?" If you had a hard time deciding what sugary treat to have for breakfast, this one helps you solve that problem. I also love how they suggest in this commercial that you should buy both kinds, and mix them. Good idea maybe, but why not put both in the same box? Nintendo did it!
Hope you enjoyed this trip back through breakfast table past. Do you remember enjoying any of these? Is there any I missed that you used to love? Let us know.